Due to our commitment to providing placements for students enrolled in the Unitec Institute of Technology Certificate in Animal Management (Captive Wild Animals) programme throughout the year, we have no places available between February and November.
A very limited number of placements may be available outside this time. Our Life Sciences team is in charge of considering applications for graduates or senior students enrolled in conservation-related tertiary courses.
- In conjunction with Unitec Institute of Technology, Auckland Zoo has limited placements each year for students wishing to carry out the Certificate in Animal Management (Captive Wild Animals).
- All enquiries and applications for Auckland Zoo placements should be directed to Student Central at Unitec .
We are looking for highly motivated and committed individuals who want to build a career in wildlife conservation and animal management.
Veterinary student placements
Applications for 2021 are closed now. Applications for 2022 can be sent between the 1st March 2021 and the 1st April 2021.
- Placements are for a minimum of 3 weeks and a maximum of 4 weeks.
- Please ensure you read the FAQs before you apply for a veterinary student placement.
- Entry is competitive and only eight people can be accepted each year. Unfortunately, this means that applications that fall outside criteria (as detailed in the FAQ) will not be considered.
- You will be advised whether your application has been successful (or not) by 30 April 2020
- Preference will be given to students that have shown a strong interest in zoo and wildlife medicine and are looking for a career in this field.
- Students from all universities will be considered.
- A link to the application form can be found here.
Veterinary nurse student placements
- Due to our commitment to providing placements for students enrolled in the Unitec and Massey veterinary nursing course, we only have a very limited number of placements available.
- If you are a qualified nurse or a second year veterinary nurse student with a strong interest in zoo and wildlife medicine, you can apply by sending your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org