Update -  Wednesday 10 May 2023

We have conducted a full assessment of our Zoo grounds this morning and are pleased to announce that the effects of the adverse weather yesterday have been minor.

As a result of this, our team are working hard this morning to prepare the site and we plan to reopen at midday today (10 May).

Our thoughts go out to all those in the community impacted by yesterday’s flooding, and we hope that everyone is safe.

Kia kaha to our wonderful community in Tāmaki Makaurau / Auckland.

As you can see from this video, there is currently a torrent of water rushing through Motions Creek at the Zoo. We will remain closed until at least midday tomorrow, when we will assess and make a decision as to when the Zoo can reopen.

We want to reassure our caring community that all of the Zoo’s animals are safe and accounted for. A few species such as the takahē, American alligators and the native lizards in our High Country habitat have been temporarily relocated due to the risk of potential flooding.

As always, we hope everyone is safe and dry during this time. Please stay tuned to our social channels and website for updates.